Doctor & Staff
Meet the experienced and friendly doctor and staff who make Seven Lakes Eye Care the leading provider of vision care products and services in Seven Lakes.
Barry Kavanaugh, OD, FAAO, FCOVD
Started Seven Lakes Eye Care in 1989
Dr. Kavanaugh’s philosophy is to treat his patients like he would want to be treated. To this end, he has equipped his new handicapped-accessible office with the latest state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, and combines this with an “old-school” attention to his patient’s concerns. Providing a customized examination for each patient based on his / her presenting problems, he has a unique ability to uncover and treat eye-teaming or visual processing problems that contribute to his patients’ difficulties.
Dr. Kavanaugh is only one of a few optometrists in the state to have double fellowships in the American Academy of Optometry and The College of Optometrists in Vision Development. He will soon be completing the process for fellowship in the Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association.
- Elon College
- BA in Biology—Magna Cum Laude
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry
- O.D., Doctor of Optometry—Cum Laude
- Baltimore Academy for Behavioral Optometrists—graduate
- Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association—Level 2 certified
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy
- DAN! Certification
Professional/Academic Colleges & Societies:
- American Optometric Association
- American Academy of Optometry
- The College of Optometrists in Vision Development
- Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association
- Optometric Extension Program
- North Carolina State Optometric Society
- Sandhills District Optometric Society
- Baltimore Academy for Behavioral Optometrists
- North Carolina Brain Injury Association
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles:
- “Treatment of Visual Midline Shift with a Spot Filter: A Case Study” The Journal of Low Vision and Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation. Vol. 11, number 4, pp 9-13.
- Dr. Kavanaugh frequently lectures to parents and the community on topics about Vision and Learning, and the rehab community on Vision and Rehabilitation following stroke and TBI.
- Married to Penny since 1985, 5 children and 3 daughters-in-law
- Involved with Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Moore county